How Church has Changed
Worship on Saturday and Sunday: We have continued worshiping on Facebook Live for Saturday and Sunday services. On April 26, 2020 we held our first Parking Lot Service that went well and we have continued, holding these services twice a month in May. Currently we are discerning our indoor, in-person date based on the guidance from the Governor and CDC, the Presbytery of Detroit, Presbyterian Church (USA) and our insurance company.
Since our last meeting of Session, the Governor has lifted the stay-at-home order and has begun opening up our state. We are now allowed to gather outside with up to 100 persons and physical distancing. We are still reflecting on when to open the sanctuary and dining room and what number of persons we will allow with distancing between individuals and families. Many of the details have already been considered and we plan to potentially make a decision at our June Session meeting. If we feel comfortable opening at that time, we will let you know as soon as this decision is made.
For now we will continue in our current manner. We will hold parking lot church on the 2nd and 4th Sundays in June, which is June 14th and 28th at 10:00 a.m. We are considering an outside service on a Saturday in June because many of our attendees have not been able to watch on Facebook.
We will continue to keep the congregation informed on every decision along the way.
Currently the following opportunities are available for connection, worship and spiritual growth.
- 5:30 p.m. Saturday Night Prayze service
- 10:00 a.m. Sunday Worship service
- Wednesday Emergency Food Pantry at 9:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
- Food Ministry Food Cart: Saturdays at 4:30-5:15 p.m.
- Saturday 4:30 p.m. Dinners to Go
- Thursday 1:00-4:00 p.m. Computer Lab is Open: (NEW) The Computer Lab is holding time in the Lounge for the requested person to use Pastor Laura’s laptop on Thursdays at 1:00-4:00 p.m. Kevin Bartlett said he would work on the other two that need updates to be put into service soon.
- We are sending out the bulletin and copies of all the hymns to the email addresses we have on hand. Folks can watch all of our services on Facebook either live or after the fact. People can also watch the service on the church website (fpcpontiac.com) afterward it is recorded. Newsletters are being emailed (and mailed.). Session and Deacons meetings have all met online using Zoom. Bible Study has concluded for the summer and will reconvene with a Zoom option in the fall.
Low-Tech opportunities: We are mailing an annotated bulletin, sermon transcript and Home Touch weekly edition to members’ homes. These are mailed following Sunday’s service because the sermon must be transcribed following the service. Newsletters are also being mailed to members’ homes and emailed. If you prefer anything by email rather than US Mail, please contact the church office. If you don’t check your email, we would rather communicate with you through the postal service.
Email List Updates: Please send us a note by email or call the office if you prefer to get all communications by email only during this Pandemic time. We have 10 persons to request email only.
Communication: Silver Seniors and Deacons have identified persons to check on regularly and assigned names to folks to call. We want to make sure everyone has what they need, is healthy, receiving food and their medications regularly and are communicating with others. We do not want you feeling alone during this difficult time.
Thank you to all that have worked with us during this uncertain time. We are feeling our way just like everyone else. Please continue to keep us in prayer and send any questions, comments or concerns to Pastor Laura. We want to hear from you.